Exploring Suffolk offers a delightful blend of picturesque landscapes, historical sites, and charming villages. Here's what should be on your bucket list during your visit!
1. Visit Framlingham Castle: Explore the medieval Framlingham Castle, a stunning fortress with rich history. Climb to the top for panoramic views of the surrounding countryside – known as the famous ‘castle on the hill’ to many.
2. Discover Lavenham's Timber-framed Houses: Wander through the medieval village of Lavenham, known for its perfectly preserved timber-framed houses. Don't miss the Guildhall, a National Trust property & quaint shops.
3. Visit Retreat East for a delicious feast: Soak up the countryside at this award-winning retreat set in rural Hemingstone. Enjoy a delicious feast in their triple-height restaurant & choose from seasonal menus which use locally sourced & homegrown produce.
4. Stroll Along Southwold Pier: Enjoy a traditional British seaside experience at Southwold Pier. Indulge in fish and chips, visit the amusements, and take a brisk walk along the sea.
5. Explore Constable Country: Immerse yourself in the landscapes that inspired the famous artist John Constable. Dedham Vale and Flatford Mill are essential stops for art and nature enthusiasts.
6. Visit Sutton Hoo: Uncover the mysteries of Anglo-Saxon burial mounds and artifacts at Sutton Hoo. The National Trust site provides a fascinating glimpse into England's early history. To find out more try watching ‘The Dig’ on Netflix.
7. Experience Snape Maltings: Attend a concert at Snape Maltings, a cultural hub set in a converted malt house. The stunning riverside location is home to a interior design store, delicatessen and MALT café.
8. Walk the Suffolk Coast Path: Hike along the Suffolk Coast Path for breath-taking views of the coastline. Explore the unique habitats of RSPB Minsmere and Dunwich Heath along the way. Take a pit stop at the top for cliff views and cream teas.
9. Relax on Aldeburgh Beach: Enjoy a relaxing day at Aldeburgh Beach. Sample fresh seafood, take a walk along the shingle shore, and browse this historic town packed with boutique shops and independent restaurants.
10. Tour Orford Ness: Explore the landscape of Orford Ness, a former military testing site. Take a guided tour to learn about its history and observe the diverse wildlife in the area.
11. Experience Bury St Edmunds: home to the ancient ‘abbey gardens’ ruins, boutique shops, independent cafes and rich heritage.
12. Sample Local Produce at Farmers' Markets: Attend one of Suffolk's vibrant farmers' markets to taste local cheeses, fresh produce, and artisanal products. It's a great way to support local businesses and savour the region's flavours.